Every winter as the house gets dry, my sinuses get irritated causing a cough and runny nose. But I have found prefect solution. Beyond lemon tea to soothe my throat, I have these great lemon scented melts that dissolve in the shower and help me feel so much better.
I added them to the advent calendar, because they make a great gift. Who does not want soothing feelings in the dark of winter?
Lemon Shower Melts
- A miniature ice cube tray (or a regular one if you don’t have one!)
- 2 Tbls of water + more for final product
- 1 cup of corn starch
- A spoon and a mixing bowl
- 5-7 drops of Lemon Grass Essential Oil (other essential oils can be used to give different aroma treatments, like mint or eucalyptus)
- Red and yellow food coloring, optional*
- Place the corn starch and lemon essential oil in a bowl and mix well. It will look like a grainy crumble.
- Add in a few drops of both yellow and red food coloring, if wanted. Continue to stir. The cubes will become a nice citrus color, and the red adds a brightness that yellow can’t create on its own.
- Slowly add in two tablespoons of water. Continue to mix as the colors disperse and you notice that clumps are forming. This will give a damp but not pasty substance.
- Continue to add water, a few drops of water at a time, stirring continuously while mixing well. When a thick paste has been created, transfer the mixture to the ice cube tray. Smooth the mixture flat in each ice cube section, but tapping on the counter.
- Freeze the contents until the mixture is set (usually about an hour.) You now can enjoy your lemon essential oil shower melts.
TO USE: Just place the melt on the floor of the shower and turn the hot water on! The water and steam will hit the lemon shower melt, and it will break down to diffuse the citrus aroma into the air.
Pro tip: Be sure not to add too much water and your cubes will remain stable out of the freezer. If there is too much they will crumble apart when thawed. You can place them in a jar and store them in a cool and dry place!